This project was a color study based on 5 fabrics that featured yellows and purples in varying depths of shades and degrees of domination of one particular color. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It was even a little bit more fun, because all 5 fat quarters came out of the Quiltology bargain bin. Clearly I lucked out when I found enough fabrics containing two colors that are opposites on the color wheel. The whole project has only cost me 10 bucks! Definitely a nice way to experiment with both colors and paper piecing.
By limiting myself to 5 fat quarters, I also forced myself to figure out what size I needed to make my squares so that I would have enough fabric. I also had to work out how to cut out my fabric strips to get the pieces I needed. Since I hadn't played with much "quilty" math before, it was a great exercise. And after that, sewing the paper-pieced blocks together was a piece of cake.
Once you have the basic squares made it's no end of fun to move them around to see what a group of them can become. The very top image is the one I had in mind when I made the squares, but these simple squares can be rotated so many ways to create many possible quilt tops. The first one is still leading the pack now that I can start thinking about sewing them up. The center of it is intentionally a little disjointed. I wanted to make the viewer's eyes jump around a bit and and find multiple interesting patterns; maybe fool the viewer into believing that they weren't looking at 16 identical squares.